It is inevitable, deep fried and crispy anything is something we all swoon over. With health conscious trends on the rise, the battle to achieve crispy without the need to deep fry has been on the radar. Well, the answer is here, and it is crispier and healthier than ever. Say hello to the air fryer. This trendy kitchen appliance circulates hot air to achieve the optimum crunch.
Take a gander at the air fryer recipes below and try out the smokin’ Lee Kum Kee sauce recommendations to pair them with to enhance taste bud pleasure.
Air-Fryer Southern-Style Chicken
You don’t need to travel to the south anymore to experience that infamous chicken.
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups crushed Ritz crackers (about 50)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
1. Preheat air fryer to 375. Spritz the fryer basket with cooking spray.
2. In a shallow bowl, mix the next 7 ingredients. Place egg in a separate shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg, then in cracker mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Place a few pieces of chicken in a single layer in the prepared basket, spritz with cooking spray.
3. Cook 10 minutes. Turn chicken and spritz with additional cooking spray; cook until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear, 10 - 20 minutes longer. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Inspired by Taste of Home.
LKK Recommendation:Sweet & Spicy Grilling & Dipping Sauce
Air Fryer Salmon with Maple Soy Glaze
Sweet, salty and oh so crispy - what else could you need in life?
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce, or gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha hot sauce
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 4 wild salmon filets, skinless (6 oz each)
1. Combine maple syrup, soy sauce, sriracha and garlic in a small bowl, pourinto a gallon sized resealable bag and add the salmon.
2. Marinate 20 to 30 minutes, turning once in a while.
3. Preheat air fryer to 400F. Lightly spray the basket with nonstick spray.
4. Remove the fish from the marinade, reserving and pat dry with paper towels.
5. Place the fish in the air fryer, in batches, air fry 7 to 8 minutes, or longer depending on thickness of the salmon.
6. Meanwhile, pour the marinade in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat and reduce until it thickens into a glaze. 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon over salmon just before eating.
1. Use this skillet version if you don’t have an air fryer.
Inspired by Skinnytaste.
LKK Recommendation:Less Sodium Soy Sauce.
Air Fried Shrimp with Garlic & Butter
Buttery shrimp and bold garlic will have you licking your chops for more.
- 3 tbsp butter (or ghee), melted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 12 extra large shrimp, 16/20 or smaller
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh black pepper
1. Wash the shrimp in cold water. If needed, using kitchen shears, slit the top of the shrimps and devein. Keep the shells on and place the shrimp in a medium bowl.
2. Turn on the air fryer to preheat to 360F.
3. In a small bowl, mix the melted butter or ghee, and garlic.
4. Pour the garlic and ghee mixture over the shrimp to marinate.
5. Place the shrimp in the air fryer basket. Set the time to 6 minutes.
6. Reserve the butter and garlic mixture for later.
7. When the timer goes off, open the basket and check for doneness. If the color of the shrimp is red and the flesh is opaque white, they are cooked. These shrimps were XL and it only took 6 minutes. Obviously, depending on size, the cooking time may vary.
8. Place the shrimps back in the medium bowl and toss them with the reserved garlic butter mixture.
9. Sprinkle sea salt and black pepper and toss well. Serve immediately.
- The cook time will vary depending on the shrimp size.
- You can substitute with butter if you are not Paleo.
Inspired by Dr. Karen S. Lee.
LKK Recommendation:Minced Garlic
Air-Fryer Tofu - Crispy and Flavorful!
Our veggie friends, we see you. This one knocks it out of the park (or more accurately, kitchen) with flavor and crunch.
- 16 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Quick press the tofu: Cut the tofu into cubes. Place them evenly on a flat surface such as a cutting board lined with paper towels or a clean towel. Cover with a layer of paper towels, set a baking sheet on top and then something heavy, like a large book or cast iron skillet. Press like this for 15 minutes. Or use a tofu press.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil.
3. Add the pressed tofu cubes on a bowl and drizzle the marinade over them. Toss gently to coat the pieces. Let the marinade for about 15 minutes, longer if desired (up to 8 hours in the refrigerator).
4. Place the tofu cubes in the air fryer, in a single layer, so the pieces don’t touch. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook half the tofu at a time. Cook at 400 degrees F for about 10 - 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally after 10 minutes. Cook until the tofu is golden and crispy, but not burned.
1. Gluten free? Use Tamara instead of soy sauce.
2. May use olive oil instead of sesame oil, but I love the flavor of sesame oil adds. For oil free, you may omit but it may not get as crispy.
3. If you have leftover tofu, simply reheat in the air fryer for 5 minutes to re-crisp!
Inspired by Nora Cooks.
LKK Recommendations:Pure Sesame Oil
Air Fryer Hoisin-And-Honey Glazed Chicken Thighs
Imagine barbecue chicken… but better. You can thank us later.
- 8 chicken thighs bone in skin on
- ½ cup of hoisin sauce
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Sliced green onions or chopped cilantro
- Sesame seeds
1. In a medium bowl combine the hoisin sauce, honey, ginger, sesame oil and garlic. Add chicken thighs; stir to coat. Toss the chicken with the sauce in the bowl.
2. If you are using an oven: Place the chicken thighs on a lined baking sheet with foil and bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes.
3. If you are using an air fryer: Place the chicken thighs into the bottom of the air fryer cooking compartment. Cook for 22 minutes on 380 degrees or until the chicken reaches 180 degrees.
4. Slow cooker instructions: Add the chicken thighs on the bottom of your slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 4 - 5 hours.
5. Use sliced green onions and sesame seeds for garnish.
Inspired by Recipe Diaries.